Friday5 Questions courtesy of Scrivener. Thank you!
Friday 5 for 2018 January 26: Returns.
1. What was the last item you returned or exchanged at a store?
Chainsaw. Got it home, assembled it, oiled it up, cranked it up and the chain immedioately slipped off the bar. On close exanmination with a magnifying glass, faint scoring was visible at a point on the chain where an almost imperceptible kink had developed. Someone at the factory tried to cover up a manufacturing flaw by filing the chain.
By the time I made it back to the hardware store it was almost closing time, another chainsaw was not in stock and I was a mess from working in the yard.
2. When did you last leave the house and then turn right back around and go back inside?
I am answering these Friday5 questions from 2018 in the autumn of 2020.
Forgot my coronavirus mask. Didn't even make it halfway down the block.
Since then I keep a mask on the shifter in the roadster, the minivan, and my autumn handbags / wristlets. Cloth masks. I prefered the pleated style. Speaking of masks, the Hong Kong tailors will make me matching a facemask if I buy a suit!
3. What’s the latest you’ve ever returned a library book?
A copy of Mr Lincoln's General, an autobiography written by Ulysses S. Grant, came free with the purchase of my house. According to the return date stamp, it had been checked out in 1955. So. Sixty years.
Wiped it clean of fingerprints and put it in the night deposit.
4. What location among places you’ve traveled would you most like to see again?
When Spewgie and I were in Europe, we were little kids and it was beastly hot. I would like to return with Spewgie and her daughter. Especially the Vatican.
5. What’s an unlikely movie sequel you’d like to see?
There are two endings to Great Expectations. Sad and so-so. A sequel that picks up with Pip and Estella in London. That would be
My favorite book is The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club (AKA The Pickwick Papers). There really isn't a movie of the book. Yes there is but it covers just a part of the book. Possibly because Pickwick's not really a book. It's a collection of serialized stories. Written in installments — as Herman Melville's Typee.
I tried reading Harry Potter. Didn't even make it through the first few pages. So sorry. To me it was awful.
Okie dokie as they say. Let's take the opening scenes. Wakey wakey. Time for brekkie. We are celebrating Dudley's birthday. The Dursley family is going to the zoo! In the book, the Dursleys are accompanied by one of Dudley's friends. Why? There is no accompanying friend in the movie. Much more clean and precise. Even pacing. Excellent musical score.
I do not consider myself a Harry Potter fan; however, the first two films in the series are completely brilliant. And Harry, Hermione and Ron are cute in their little school uniforms and we are introduced to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
So. Some sprawling epic about the timeless wonder of the English countryside and rustic bumpkin vs gentlemen. Yeah, that's Oscar material. Well... I'd watch it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What the heck? Intentionally selling a defective chainsaw seems extremely dangerous. What in the world was someone thinking?
ReplyDeleteIt was comical looking at the chainsaw blade through a magnifying glass. The guy at the factory obviously had a file to "correct" manufacturing "flaws" and made a half-hearted attempt to "fix" the problem.
DeletePretty serious defect, actually. I wondered why I had so much difficulty tensioning the chain. It's not like I'm a lumberjerk or anything but I have to change chains more often than the average chainsawyer mainly because I cut trees down to the ground level and the idea is to keep the chain out of the dirt which dulls the blades and gums up the oily chain. If I hadn't been wearing gloves and goggles I would have been injured. Safety first.
I kind of feel sorry for the manager at the hardware store. I was really angry. And they didn't have a substitute in stock so I lost a few hours of work monkeying around. He must have been relatively new; pre-coronavirus, I shopped there frequently. And feign like I don't know what I am doing so the store clerks would do everything for me and carry my stuff out to the car. Especially the big bags of charcoal and buckets of kitty litter and sixty pound bags of salt.