Another 金曜五 and Friday5 doubleheader!



Questions courtesy of 金曜五.

1. Whatcha been up to?

Doctor appointments. Seems like the whole week was spent in waiting rooms.

In the past, I'd always taken a copy of The New Yorker with me. Subscriber since junior high. Don't even read the latest issue. Just peel off the mailing label and throw it on the stack. Packed a dozen magazines in my suitcase for vacation reading with my afternoon cheeseburger and martini and a dozen in my carry on bag for reading on the plane. And The New Yorker was a way of marking my territory. To stake out a table while I waited on line for the cheeseburger and fries. Find a good location and plop down the magazine and my cigarettes and lighter to hold my place.

And that one cocktail waitress who was a dead ringer for Rina Suzuki.


Rina Suzuki of SCANDAL as the bunny / drummer in Halloween Junky Orchestra. Seven years before coronavirus.

So pretty. So shy. After the second day she knew all my preferences so I just give her the high sign. Saving me from the arduous task of saying, "A martini. Beefeater, Noilly Prat extra dry, straight up, two olives, please. Let's make it a double," "Beefeater and pink lemonade, please," or "Beefeater and tonic, please."

Tipping is not required. But I do it anyways.

Shortly after I quit cigarettes the onboard smoking policy changed drastically. From wherever you please to Lido deck starboard between the rear bar and aft swimming pool.



Pretty small area. In spite of this, hardcore nonsmokers order healthy nonalcoholic drinks at the Sea View Bar and make certain everyone can see them waving the smoke away. On an open deck with the ship's speed at twenty knots and a strong cross deck breeze registering six on the Beaufort Wind Force Scale.

Yes. Strong breeze is a scientific measurement. No. Zephyr is not on the Beaufort Scale.

You poor poor thing. Having to sit with the sinners who are going straight to hell. There are a dozen non-smoking bars on this sampan, sport. Go back to the gym or spa you came from.

I didn't quit smoking for my health. I quit because my friend Spewgie was getting married and we thought wedding pictures with the bride and maid of honor smoking cigarettes would look bad. A year later Spewgie Jr came along. So. It is for the better. But my sympathies lie with the smoking camp.

To prepare for my winter cruise (which was cancelled due to coronavirus after checking into my hotel in San Diego), I purchased a tablet, Bluetooth headphones, a case / easel thingy, and micro SD extended memory card. Downloaded Dickens, Twain, Typee by Herman Melville, The Evolution Of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts — From Forks And Pins To Paper Clips And Zippers — Came To Be As They Are, deluxe iIllustrated edition, by Henry Petroski, magazines, movies, music, maps and tropical birdwatching and plant identification guides.

I can see why people become so addicted to their cellphones. Maybe someday I will break down and join the twenty-first century.

It was luxury watching SCANDAL songs and silent movies on the plane. In the past I'd taken my laptop along, mainly to watch movies in my stateroom. Yes. There is a large wall-mounted television. I brought along a twelve foot adaptor cable so I could watch movies downloaded onto the laptop while I was in bed. A forceps so I could reach the inputs on the back of the wall-mounted television and a universal remote control so I could access the inputs. Nowadays there are all kinds of movies and satellite channels on Ship TV but I watch G rated movies. Sometimes PG.

Laptops are too clunky for use on the plane.

Having a tablet at the doctor's office is really nice. Sometimes I'd even pick up a wi-fi signal which enhanced my waiting room experience.

2. What's the latest from the front?

Attorney Kimberley Chongyon Motley represents the family of Alvin Cole, the convicted juvenile felon and gang banger who stold a semiautomatic gun and shot up the shopping mall, delivered an ultimatium.

1. "Direct the Police and Fire Commission to demote Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber immediately "for his failed leadership particularly in supervising Officer Joseph Mensah, enabling a culture of police violence against peaceful protestors and increasing potential legal liabilities against Wauwatosa taxpayers."

Nice try, Kim. It was Chief Weber's leadership that got us through the riots. The protesters were not peaceful. And there are no "increasing potential legal liabilities against Wauwatosa taxpayers". Kim thinks she's riding the gravy train. Another one of her schemes to intimidate. 

Wauwatosa is insured. You won't be facing the city attorney in court. You'll be fighting insurance lawyers. 
     
2. "Date certain for body cameras for all Wauwatosa Police Officers."

That is the fault of the Wauwatosa Common Council for denying Chief Weber's budgets for years.

I notice Kim has changed her tune. "All police officers" rather than "police officers".

That is because John Larry, racist appointed chairperson of the Wauwatosa Ad Hoc Committee On Policing And Systemic Inequities, was caught out in a lie when he said he was protesting peacefully.

WARNING: NSFW. Language, implied violence.



It is a common misbelief the police department doesn't have bodycams.

Some officers do.

Larry obviously didn't know that.

From a recent Policing And Systemic Inequities meeting:

Larry: How did that get on YouTube?

YouTube and TikTok and Twitter and Dailymotion and Vimeo and Nico Nico... Freedom Of Information Act. Open records.

Same tactics you use.

Heather Kuhl was suddenly concerned about an individual's privacy. "Don't the police have to ask permission [to record]?

Probably because Heather was caught out in late night BLM caravans going through Wauwatosa neighborhoods to incite fear. The very people she took an oath to represent.

And guess what? I did a little digging. Disgraced ex-alderperson Heather Kuhl voted against the police budget. As in bodycams. Twice.

3. "Dismiss any and all tickets as it relates to any nonviolent peaceful protests starting with Taleavia Cole."

Nope. Taleavia boasted she would buy a steak dinner for the officer who could arrest her. She's really enjoying the attention she's getting from her brother's death. Taleavia knowingly broke the law. She will pay her fine or have her day in court like everyone else.

4. "Return any and all property such as phones. cameras. etc... to any and all citizens "starting with the return of Taleavia Coles phone which has been illegally searched and seized by the Wauwatosa Police Department."

A distortion of the facts. You'd think a law school graduate would know better.

The protesters' property has always been available.

You have to go to the police department to pick it up. With proper ID. The police do not make deliveries.

Of course that may be a problem for protesters wanted on priors or with bail or parole violations. Which explains why no one has picked up their stuff.

5. "Direct Weber to Fire Officer Mensah — which LEGALLY CAN happen today - for his repeated violations of the Wauwatosa Police rules since he has been on suspended leave from July 15 onwards."

You crazy girl! How many times do I have to tell you only the Police And Fire Commission can hire, fire and discipline. Besides, how is Chief Weber going to do anything if he is demoted [see Demand #1].

6. "Develop strategies within the Wauwatosa Police Department to deal with nonviolent mental health calls to the police to be handled by mental health professionals."

Okie dokie. You answer the 911 calls if you're so smart.

Kim, you also represent the family of Antonio Gonzalez.

In that incident, officers responding to neighbors' 911 calls were confronted by Gonzalez who had a history of mental health issues and, according to toxicology reports, had a BAC of .255. Beyond three sheets to the wind. Refused to drop his sword and charged at retreating officers.

Why was he drinking in violation of his bail conditions? Where was his family? Of course now that they've been lured by promises of a lucrative payday from the lawsuit they're showing an unprecedented concern for Antonio. If only they'd cared for him earlier he'd still be alive. 

7. "A public apology from the Wauwatosa Police Department for targeting, attacking. and arresting Tracy Cole and her three daughters."

So sorry. Tracy, Taleavia, Tahudah and Tristiana Cole violated curfew and resisted arrest.

8. "Renaming of Wauwatosa Madison Park to Jay Anderson, Jr. Park."

Yeah. That's a county park. Not a Wauwatosa park.  A park where he dealt drugs and passed out in his car parked on the basketball court at three o'clock in the morning. Caught on police dashcam.

Jay-Z's Team ROC added: "We call for the city to divest $6million from the $17million police budget in Wauwatosa. Reallocate those funds into education, mental health services, housing, youth employment, violence intervention and other community services."

Reduce the budget? That means no bodycams. Believe me, the police and citizens of Wauwatosa want bodycams. John Larry, racist appointed chairperson of the Wauwatosa Ad Hoc Committee On Policing And Systemic Inequities, and disgraced ex-alderperson Heather Kuhl were the first to get their comeuppances.

Trust me. I read enough Nancy Drew books in my childhood and being the youngest of three sisters, I can keep up this "John Larry, racist appointed chairperson of the Wauwatosa Ad Hoc Committee On Policing And Systemic Inequities, and disgraced ex-alderperson Heather Kuhl" business all day.

Wauwatosa has a good school system, mental health services are handled by the county, Wauwatosa is well above median housing and income.

Our problem is Milwaukee.

Motley is an ambulance chaser nonpareil. Hard to believe we both attended Marquette. Even harder to believe Kim is representing Alvin Cole, convicted juvenile felon and gang banger who stold a semiautomatic gun, was in possession of an illegal thirty-five round magazine and shot up the shopping mall, when her husband, Claudaire Motley, was seriously wounded by Nathan King in a carjacking attempt and was sentenced to prison.

In a wheelchair. Nathan King was permanently paralyzed while committing his next crime.

How did Alvin Cole become a martyr? Why didn't Attorney Kimberley Chongyon Motley pursue charges against Nathan King's victim? Who returned fire. Just like Officer Mensah returned fire after Alvin Cole shot at him. That is called hypocrisy. Where is the love, Kim?

3. What's up?

What's not up. The Coca-Cola Signature Mixers. Herbal, Smoky, Spicy, and Woody.



The Woody was most intriguing as it contains vetiver, my favorite scent. Actually vetiver has to be mixed with other stuff otherwise you'll smell like a hamster cage.

Designed as a mixer for dark spirits. An import from England. 

If you're buying decent liquor, why doctor it with Coca-Cola mixers?

So sorry. No sale. I drink gin and I'm not shelling out twenty bucks for shipping.

What am I talking about? I paid fifty for the stuff I ordered from Japan.

That does not make sense to me. Do you mean to tell me I can ship a 1993 Suzuki Jimny from Yokohama to Baltimore for five hundred smackers but a couple of yukatas and Pocky are fifty dollars? Waaaaaooooo!

4. What's new?

Christmas shopping has been done for months but was thinking of getting something special for my friend Spewgie.

Check it out:



Osaka Castle. SCANDAL began by busking in Osaka Castle Park on Sunday afternoons before being discovered by Kitty Records. When we were little, Spewgie and I loved assembling models. With Osaka Castle, we could create THE ULTIMATE OBSESSIVE CLINICALLY INSANE FAN PROJECT! A diorama of Osaka Castle Park complete with SCANDAL in 1:150 scale. On sale for only ¥45000. Or $431.85.

Problem: We already have a half-assembled Victorian doll house that has been sitting unfinished for twenty years.

Our favorite airplane is the Mitsubishi A6M Reisen, AKA Imperial Navy Type 0 carrier fighter, from which the sobriquet "Zero" is derived.



Problem: It's green.


Detail of Tamiya model. The tips of the wings fold for close parking on an aircraft carrier.


Remember in Tora! Tora! Tora! how some of the Zeroes were green? BZZZZT! No green airplanes until later in the war when some Zeroes were island-based. The attack planes were carrier-based. And they weren't Zeroes. They were T-6 Texans, an American WWII trainer.

While searching for a photograph of a remote control Zero, I discovered a restored Zero in Switzerland of all places which was recently sold for sixteen million dollars. Oh well. It wouldn't have fit in Spewgie's garage anyway.

Back to the drawing board.

5. What's on the agenda?

To wrap up my birthmonth, tomorrow's Flavors Of The Day at the custard stand in Waukesha are Jack-O'-Lantern and Blue Moon.



Except for the marshmallow, sounds pretty yummy. Who puts marshmallow in Blue Moon? Not a big fan of marshmallow despite all the years of indoctrination in Daisy, Brownie and Girl Scouts. As in s'mores. I mean, they're alright. Especially around a campfire. So. Looks like I will be getting a double cheeseburger with onion, tomato, lettuce (I bring my own Kewpie mayonnaise) and french fries (I bring my own Heinz 57 ketchup. And chop sticks).

But tomorrow I am not getting a sundae. Or banana split. Or two cones. Or two dishes. I am getting a Jack-O'-Lantern milkshake and a Blue Moon milkshake. Super thick. Crazy.

The forecast for lunchtime is sunny and a balmy 52° F / 11.1° C. That is bikini weather around here. I will probably go to Oconomowoc and eat by the lake and then go watercress gathering. This will mark my fourth venture out of the house since my original quarantine in March (other than doctor appointments or picking up food curbside or in the drive-through). To blend in with the natives, I am thinking twintail braids, Ray-Ban Wayfarers, dark grey facemask, dark grey herringbone Harris tweed sports jacket and newsboy cap, black scrubs, white Puma Easy Riders and changing shoes when I get to the marsh. 

Ooh. I should put a couple of gas cans in the trunk of the roadster. To buy pure 93 octane gasoline without ethanol. Which I cannot get here.

I am one smart cookie. Smarter than the average bear.     





Friday5 questions courtesy of Scrivener. Thank you!

Friday 5 for October 30: Ohio.

1. What’s starts off difficult but gets easier?

The death of a loved one.

They say that time heals all wounds but I don't think so. The initial shock, the grief, the confusion, the rawness, the sting. That part fades away over the years but the emptiness is always there. I miss you.

2. What’s exciting in the beginning and end, but dull in the middle?

Harry Potter. In the first two movies we are introduced to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Harry, Hermione and Ron are wearing their cute little school uniforms.

While fact checking my answer, I just found out the late Rik Mayall who starred in The Young Ones, my favorite television program, was cast as a poltergeist in Harry Potter but ended up on the cutting room floor. I would like to see those outtakes.

Somewhere I came across Mayall and real life BFF and fellow actor Ade Edmondson onstage and breaking character.

WARNING: NSFW.



If it wasn't for the language that would give you a pretty good idea of me 'n' Spewgie. Except we're younger and way prettier.

When Rik Mayall died, Edmondson eulogized, "And now he's died for real. Without me. The selfish bastard."

If Spewgie goes to that big smörgåsbord with unlimited refills on large beverages and ten percent discount for seniors before four o'clock in the sky before me, I'm going to steal that line for my impassioned yet bereaved speech at the church. Looking absolutely adorable in my silk top hat with the long trailing gauzy scarf tied round the hatband and Victorian mourning dress. That'll put the fun back into funeral. Or maybe have it chiseled on her gravestone.

One of those New Orleans funerals. With the jazz band, the black horses with the funerary plumes, black livery and casket with the black wreath in a glass hearse, a flower wagon, parasols and dancing in the street. I suppose Spewgie's husband will have something to say about that. Party pooper.

Is it a coincidence that the first two films were directed by Chris Columbus (I know, major teasing, hey?) with screenplay by Steven Kloves? Really well written, well paced, terrific musical score...

When we were in junior high, my friend Spewgie and I would sometimes hop on the bus, go downtown and sneak into film lectures at Marquette University. For years I participated in online silent film discussion groups.

I distinctly recall one guy saying, "Oh yeah. That's my favorite movie. I've seen it ten times." Ten times? I've seen Birth Of A Nation at least fifty times and I hate it. With a passion. Maybe because I am Asian and Roman Catholic. I'm against the KKK. 

Wonder?

And Breakfast At Tiffany's

I'm willing to bet I've watched the first Harry Potter at least sixty times. But I am the type who rereads favorite books dozens and dozens of times, too.

I don't know if Columbus left the series or the studio thought it was time for new blood but the subsequent films are a miasma of Hermione going to the Yule Ball and visiting the Ministry Of Magic and I don't know what.

Then the final film comes around and it is a relief Harry isn't really dead, Voldemort is defeated, Ron marries Hermione, Harry marries Ginny, we have the wistful send off of their children on Platform 9¾ and everyone lives happily ever after.

Well yippee ki yo ki yay. Like we didn't see that one coming.

3. What’s delicious at first but progressively worse as you go along?

Sunburn.

Setting out the blanket and picnic things on the beach, getting the kites in the air, splashing in the water, lying prone and the lazy delicious feeling as the sun warms our backs.

And by evening putting driftwood on the fire we are as red as a lobster and clothing feels like sandpaper on our skin.

4. What makes you feel terrible while you’re doing it but great when you’re done?

Breaking up with a boyfriend? I don't really feel terrible. I gave up on feelings. I don't care.

Hmm. That's a poor example. How about bleaching the shower? Peeling onions? Painting the staircase ceiling? 

Hai hai hai. Beating up LaChanette Glass in that unfortunate lunchroom incident. I don't know that I felt great about being expelled from high school, though. And I didn't feel exactly terrible when she attacked me and I dented the table with her head. 

Someone is going to have to explain number four to the pretty girl. So sorry. I prepared for more Halloween-oriented questions. I'm even wearing my stupid witch's hat.



♫ ♪ La la la la la la la la Halloween Party
La la la la la la la la Let's Trick Or Treat ♪ ♫

5. What did you once do quickly but now do slowly?

Running. Since my friend Spewgie gave birth to her daughter, Spewgie Jr, we haven't trained hard. At a pre-coronavirus Storm The Bastile 5K we signed up amateur status rather than competitive.

Life in the slow lane.



2 comments:

  1. I can see why you'd say this about the Harry Potter films, although the sixth movie was really good. I remember how my students and I felt about the series after the fifth film, and then I saw the sixth and said, "It's the best one since whatever your favorite one is." And all my students agree. I especially love the scene at the end, after that crazy adventure. Ron, Hermione, and Harry are in one of the towers, looking out on the snow-covered grounds.

    We know what's coming for these three. There's no going back. Some beloved friends and relatives are going to die. But now, they take a moment to watch the snow fall on this dear school.

    Harry says, "You know, I'd forgotten how beautiful this place is," and it's the perfect summary of the whole series up to this point. Not just the beauty of Hogwarts, but the beauty of finding your place, of realizing you you have a purpose, and of knowing you have special friends who will be with you to the death, if necessary. Beautiful, indeed. We are reminded of how beautiful this series of novels and films is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a Harry Potter fan. I'm not. I think the Harry Potter films are pretty good. To me, the books are a chore. What am I saying? I didn't make it through the first two chapters.

      It's not like I had to be dragged into the theater or coerced into buying the DVDs. The fascination for me ends when the cast becomes too mature for their characters and the school uniforms are unkempt or replaced with street clothes.

      Street clothes. Nothing quicker dates a movie. And is an indicator of socio-economic background. Specifically the Bell Telephone 'Reach Out And Touch Somebody' television commercials we learned about in history class. In less than two seconds we know the white woman and the black woman were friends in college and the suburban white woman married successfully and has a baby and the black woman is single living in an NYC apartment with her cat. Completely genius. I prefer the anonymity (and cuteness) of school uniforms. Maybe because I attended schools requiring uniforms. That is why Harry Potter may not become a timeless classic.

      So so so. How do you deal with the problem of a cast growing up during the shoot? And sometimes I would have to ask my friend Spewgie, "Who is that guy?" "Where did he come from?" Introducing characters without establishing a background.

      Spewgie is like you. She read the books.

      Spewgie has a saying. You can take a Rolls Royce and if you look hard enough, there will be a flaw. And if you take a Chrysler and look hard enough, there will be something good about it.

      To me, Harry Potter 3 through 7.8 is a Chrysler.

      You and Spewgie disagree with me. That's okay. Because when Spewgie Jr and my nieces get a little bit older, we'll be having Harry Potter slumber party marathons.

      Delete